First Presbyterian Church is a living ministry of the Risen Christ in the heart of Lincoln, Nebraska.
To worship and praise God, to celebrate and share our faith, to nurture and unify the congregation as a community of Christian believers, to offer the fellowship of a church “home” and to reach out to others with the love of Christ.
- We praise God through worship.
- We strengthen faith through study.
- We live our beliefs through mission.
- We nurture a diverse community.
WHAT DOES THAT REALLY MEAN?
To put flesh on that mission, these are the goals we are focusing on:
- Meeting the real needs of real people
- Building a strong, inclusive community
- Being a church that looks on the inside like our neighborhood looks on the outside
- Nurturing a strong faith that changes lives
These goals are huge, so within these goals, we are prioritizing the following:
- Connecting with our neighborhood, discovering real needs of neighbors, seeking effective ways to address them, deepen relationships with our neighbors and partners, and grow new partnerships
- Enhancing a robust online ministry that engages people far beyond our current membership, and facilitates the growth of Christian disciples
- Building a strong and comprehensive pastoral care ministry that reaches every member of the congregation, and addresses short term, long term, and emergency care needs
- Designing and implementing a process that welcomes and integrates people into our culture and the life of our church
VALUES that Weave through Everything
- Love: All are loved, following in the example and spirit of Christ – no exceptions
- Curiosity: We do not check our brains at the door – we encourage all to ask questions, to come to their own conclusions, to explore doubts, and grow in conversation with others
- Diversity: No matter our background, our cultural practice and history, our economic condition, color of our skin, sexual orientation or gender identity, etc., together we are richer for it
- Boldness: “For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power…” (2 Timothy 1:7) That means we are not afraid to try new things, or to claim for others to see what we believe.
We are a member of the Covenant Network of Presbyterians:
The Covenant Network of Presbyterians is a broad-based, national group of clergy and lay leaders working for a church that is simultaneously faithful, just, and whole. The Covenant Network seeks to
- support the mission and unity of the Presbyterian Church (USA);
- articulate and act on the church’s historic, progressive vision;
- work for a fully inclusive church;
- find ways to live out the graciously hospitable gospel by living together with all our fellow members in the PC(USA).
At First Presbyterian Church we live out that fully inclusive church, welcoming all into membership and leadership, regardless of any label one may embrace, including labels of race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.
Visit the following links to learn more about associations that First Presbyterian Church is closely associated with: